Thursday, September 4, 2014

MNKafe - Mombasa, Kenya

Another throwback post today! On my way back from Uganda I decided to take a few detours, namely some countries in Africa as well as some countries in Southeast Asia. My first stop in Africa was Kenya.

Now, I was in Nairobi for a few days before hitting up Mombasa, so I decided to try and find a cupcake bakery there. I went online and did a search on Google to try and find a place. I happened upon a custom cupcake bakery and tried my hardest to find it. After hours walking and searching for this cupcake bakery that turned out to be order only, I finally found Cake City. Unfortunately there were no red velvet cupcakes so I tried a chocolate cupcake with chocolate frosting with almond shavings. The cake was slightly dense but it did not take away from the integrity of the taste. The chocolate frosting was very creamy and smooth making the density of the cupcake barely noticeable.

After the failed attempt I my my way to Mombasa. I wasn't deterred though, I did another search on Google and found a bakery called MNKafe. The website promised an array of choices of cupcakes, so I was quite excited to try it out. Unfortuantely, Mombasa isn't the easiest place to navigate when you don't know KiSwahili. It only took a failed car ride and a tuk tuk (rikshaw) that cost a fortune to find this cafe in Mombasa. Luckily they had red velvet cupcake!

I was a bit skeptical at first given the epic failures in the past. No other red velvet cupcake was true to the name, lacking in the essential chocolate flavor.

Red Velvet Cupcake and Oreo Cupcake from MNKafe

The cupcake was nice and moist, the frosting airy and light (more of a whipped cream) so my hopes soared. To my great surprise I was actually greeted with a chocolate flavor! It wasn't very strong but it was definitely there! I was very excited about the idea that there may be red velvet cupcakes that were true to tradition!

I have to say, this cupcake rejuvenated my mission to find the best red velvet cupcake around. Let the hunt continue!

Price: 100 Kenyan Shillings (about $1.15) per cupcake
Cake: moist, airy
Icing: light, whipped cream
Decorations: simple
Overall Rating: 8/10


No comments:

Post a Comment